Its been raining, not a little bit, lots. And when it’s not been raining, it snowed. Rainfall has almost got to 95mm so far this month. So many plans in the garden have been put on hold because of the rainy weather. Once again the lawn is a bog, and temperatures have been very cold. Midway through the month we were visited by the Beast from the East, a weather front that bought Siberian style weather for a long weekend.
I was on the verge of relaying new slabs to support the new Greenhouse I purchased last Autumn, however the persistent heavy rain, high winds and a visit by storm Imogenhas put paid to me being able to do much garden work for a few weeks….
I had to snatch random gaps in the stormy weather to get slabs relaid and the new Greenhouse base fitted.
And this is how it stayed for at least another week, the mud became intolerable, and my fingers froze. Then last weekend a break in the weather meant I got the frame together, fixed up and all bolted.
I took a half day from work last friday as the forecast was favourable, I got the two roof vents fitted, the door made up and fitted and started glazing. Now it’s considered best practice to glaze in one day so as not to leave the structure with gaps overnight in case of high storms, however I had to finish my glazing at 5.15pm on Friday as it was just too dark to continue. And even worse… I was coming down with a streaming cold.
Yesterday morning I dragged myself from my sick-bed to finish glazing each end and the door, there was one worrying moment when the last pane of glass just wouldn’t fit. I made an ‘adjustment’ to a plastic fitting and the pane slotted in perfectly.
So.. here it is…
It’s a 6×8 foot extra high Greenhouse, I need to sort out the ground around it, fit the downpipes to the gutter, and sort some water butts. I’m aiming to use the Greenhouse primarily for tall crops in tubs, such as Tomatoes and Cucumbers…….
But that could all change yet.
It should complement my existing 6×8 very nicely.
But all in good time, it was back to my sick-bed for the rest of the weekend to try to shake off this bug.
Another new recent purchase for me is helping start of some seeds that I’ve sown, a zip up tunnel type propagator with heat mat.
It’s a bit of an extravagance, but I’ve always wanted one, and a recent sale meant I was able to get one for under £100. It should prove useful with the extra height when I start cuttings later in the year.
It currently contains my Chilli seeds, which are coming along nicely.
I’ve also just sown a wide variety of Tomato seeds, some from the USA, some from Northern Europe, and some ultra modern uk F1 hybrids. these should do well in my new taller greenhouse.
In other areas around the garden, there are signs of Spring Flowers which are a welcome sight….
I just need more time to get into the garden to do all the outstanding jobs, I also need the water table to reduce a bit.
I’m really looking forward to giving the lawn its first cut of the year, and at least there will be Tulips…