New Greenhouse Build and Spring creeps in….


Following on from my last post…. Raised Beds, Mud and Big Plans….

I was on the verge of relaying new slabs to support the new Greenhouse I purchased last Autumn, however the persistent heavy rain, high winds and a visit by storm Imogen has put paid to me being able to do much garden work for a few weeks….

1-DSC_0016
The remains of the old Greenhouse.

I had to snatch random gaps in the stormy weather to get slabs relaid and the new Greenhouse base fitted.

Feb 2016 014
The Base Fitted.

And this is how it stayed for at least another week, the mud became intolerable, and my fingers froze.  Then last weekend a break in the weather meant I got the frame together, fixed up and all bolted.

I took a half day from work last friday as the forecast was favourable, I got the two roof vents fitted, the door made up and fitted and started glazing.  Now it’s considered best practice to glaze in one day so as not to leave the structure with gaps overnight in case of high storms, however I had to finish my glazing at 5.15pm on Friday as it was just too dark to continue.  And even worse… I was coming down with a streaming cold.

Yesterday morning I dragged myself from my sick-bed to finish glazing each end and the door, there was one worrying moment when the last pane of glass just wouldn’t fit. I made an ‘adjustment’ to a plastic fitting and the pane slotted in perfectly.

So.. here it is…

6X8 extra high.
6X8 extra high.

It’s a 6×8 foot extra high Greenhouse, I need to sort out the ground around it, fit the downpipes to the gutter, and sort some water butts. I’m aiming to use the Greenhouse primarily for tall crops in tubs, such as Tomatoes and Cucumbers…….

But that could all change yet.

It should complement my existing 6×8 very nicely.

But all in good time, it was back to my sick-bed for the rest of the weekend to try to shake off this bug.

 

Another new recent purchase for me is helping start of some seeds that I’ve sown, a zip up tunnel type propagator with heat mat.

013-16-jan 2016 017

It’s a bit of an extravagance, but I’ve always wanted one, and a recent sale meant I was able to get one for under £100.  It should prove useful with the extra height when I start cuttings later in the year.

It currently contains my Chilli seeds, which are coming along nicely.

Chillies in action.
Chillies in action.

I’ve also just sown a wide variety of Tomato seeds, some from the USA, some from Northern Europe, and some ultra modern uk F1 hybrids. these should do well in my new taller greenhouse.

Tomatoes Pending....
Tomatoes Pending….

In other areas around the garden, there are signs of Spring Flowers which are a welcome sight….

I just need more time to get into the garden to do all the outstanding jobs, I also need the water table to reduce a bit.

Hamamelis & Snowdrops.

I’m really looking forward to giving the lawn its first cut of the year, and at least there will be Tulips…

Tulips emerging....
Tulips emerging….

Bye for now…..

 

*Achoo!*

 

Raised Beds, Mud and Big Plans….


One of the changes I wanted to make to the garden layout, was to build a new raised bed for veg growing, my current raised bed number far too few for what I want to grow.

In 2015 I grew Sweetcorn in big pots in blocks in a bit of an experiment to see if it was a suitable way of getting  a good crop, they had to be in pots as I did not have any room on the sunny side of the garden to plant in the ground, the experiment was a stunning failure, even with a very rich growing medium mixed up by me, lots of liquid feed and lots of watering, I only got about 10 cobs from 25 plants, and they were small cobs at that…. but very delicious.

A decision had to be made,  either give up or invest time creating a decent growing space and go all out in the pursuit of a splendid harvest……

 

I decided to dig up a round flower bed I made a couple of years ago, it never really reached its full potential, it was horribly clayey, and I dug in several sacks of shape grit and old compost only to be rewarded with a mediocre flower display.

So first job was to re-home all the perennials, these were replanted in other beds around the garden, then I bought some treated decking boards and fixed these into place and used some old cardboard and newspaper to cover the grassy corners. I used sacks of old saved compost from my failed sweetcorn pots, some sacks of soil improver and at least 5 wheelbarrows of compost from my own Dalek Style compost bins to top the bed up.

1-jan 2016 019
Finished bed.

It just needs to settle down now, and I can top it up when required.

With all these jobs done, I planned more work in the greenhouse the next day, and I wanted to start lifting the old slabs from where my 6×6 once was.

1-DSC_0016

Unfortunately the weather had other ideas.

The next day……

Dam.

To be continued………………………..

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: